of mushrooms and chinese spinach
I haven't shopped at an Asian grocery-market for so long I've forgotten how harrowing it was. Everything haphazard, swirling; people jostling, squeezing, pushing. It was a little overwhelming for my senses, having grown used to the tame, wide aisles of Safeway and its meandering shoppers.
And, as I found out today, everything at Safeway is still cheaper (and better quality). From now on, whatever I can get from Safeway, I'll get from Safeway. Though I'm hoping one day it'll start stocking dried prawn chilli, ladies' fingers, yam, every type of noodle, and maybe special kitchenware (i.e. the type only Chinese would find useful).
A word of advice, too. Fresh mushrooms, get them at Safeway. I had a nasty shock when I was dicing mushrooms for dinner just now. The ones that I'd bought from the Asian grocer looked fine but smelt positively toxic when sliced up. I got paranoid thinking of all the chemicals they must have been sprayed with and threw the evil-smelling ones out.
The block of frozen chinese spinach that I bought, however, provided some entertainment.
The packaging read:
Chinese Spinach
Ingredients: Chinese, spinach.
XD
And, as I found out today, everything at Safeway is still cheaper (and better quality). From now on, whatever I can get from Safeway, I'll get from Safeway. Though I'm hoping one day it'll start stocking dried prawn chilli, ladies' fingers, yam, every type of noodle, and maybe special kitchenware (i.e. the type only Chinese would find useful).
A word of advice, too. Fresh mushrooms, get them at Safeway. I had a nasty shock when I was dicing mushrooms for dinner just now. The ones that I'd bought from the Asian grocer looked fine but smelt positively toxic when sliced up. I got paranoid thinking of all the chemicals they must have been sprayed with and threw the evil-smelling ones out.
The block of frozen chinese spinach that I bought, however, provided some entertainment.
The packaging read:
Chinese Spinach
Ingredients: Chinese, spinach.
XD

<< Home