Part 2 - Philly and Beyond
Indeed, I could not have picked a better time to come to the states. Events of note in reverse chronological order:
ELECTION DAY TODAY!
Everyone is excited and the whole campus is abuzz! Based on my unscientific poll of yard signs, buttons and T-shirts seen today, McCain doesn't stand a chance here in University City, and especially on campus. In fact, according to a friend, the few closet McCain supporters have taken to emerging only in the middle of the night, chalking "Vote McCain" on the pavement and sticking up the odd McCain poster. Otherwise, it's one big Obama party! Cars are honking outside because volunteers are standing at the curb with signs saying "HONK FOR OBAMA!", the mood is upbeat and I just can't believe it's election day. I can barely fathom what both camps must be feeling right now, having invested almost two years of their lives in the campaign. This is the make or break. I mean, wow. I can't wait to see how this plays out tonight. It will be monumental.
One of the many yard signs I polled.
HALLOWEEN
I knew Halloween was big here, but I didn't know it was that big. Lots of pumpkin carving too. This was the day I had my 15 hour assignment marathon so you can guess that I wasn't out partying, but rest assured, everyone else was. People really took the effort to dress up, and I spotted some pretty awesome costumes on my way to poker at 12am. No pictures though. Instead:
(Photo from the internet) It took me half a minute but when I realised what was going on it cracked me up. One of Obama's campaign slogans is "Yes We Can!"
PHILLIES WIN THE WORLD SERIES!
So I was a baseball noobie, and still am, but I understand at least that winning the World Series, and more so after a 28 year drought, is a BIG deal for Philadelphia. While I wish I could appreciate the Phillies win a bit more, the unbridled ecstasy that ensued was infectious. For 3, 4 hours straight that night after the win, people ran down Spruce St (one of many, no doubt) screaming and jumping and celebrating, cars honked and flashed their lights as passengers stretched as far out as they could from the windows waving, laughing, cheering with everyone around them. The next day everyone - security guards, cafe staff, students - were decked out in Phillies gear and congratulating each other. There was also a huge parade in Center City.

THE FINANCIAL CRISIS
Unfortunately I have two group meetings lined up tonight with the first starting in 10 minutes so I will have to come back to this. Happy reading!
ELECTION DAY TODAY!
Everyone is excited and the whole campus is abuzz! Based on my unscientific poll of yard signs, buttons and T-shirts seen today, McCain doesn't stand a chance here in University City, and especially on campus. In fact, according to a friend, the few closet McCain supporters have taken to emerging only in the middle of the night, chalking "Vote McCain" on the pavement and sticking up the odd McCain poster. Otherwise, it's one big Obama party! Cars are honking outside because volunteers are standing at the curb with signs saying "HONK FOR OBAMA!", the mood is upbeat and I just can't believe it's election day. I can barely fathom what both camps must be feeling right now, having invested almost two years of their lives in the campaign. This is the make or break. I mean, wow. I can't wait to see how this plays out tonight. It will be monumental.
HALLOWEEN
I knew Halloween was big here, but I didn't know it was that big. Lots of pumpkin carving too. This was the day I had my 15 hour assignment marathon so you can guess that I wasn't out partying, but rest assured, everyone else was. People really took the effort to dress up, and I spotted some pretty awesome costumes on my way to poker at 12am. No pictures though. Instead:
(Photo from the internet) It took me half a minute but when I realised what was going on it cracked me up. One of Obama's campaign slogans is "Yes We Can!"PHILLIES WIN THE WORLD SERIES!
So I was a baseball noobie, and still am, but I understand at least that winning the World Series, and more so after a 28 year drought, is a BIG deal for Philadelphia. While I wish I could appreciate the Phillies win a bit more, the unbridled ecstasy that ensued was infectious. For 3, 4 hours straight that night after the win, people ran down Spruce St (one of many, no doubt) screaming and jumping and celebrating, cars honked and flashed their lights as passengers stretched as far out as they could from the windows waving, laughing, cheering with everyone around them. The next day everyone - security guards, cafe staff, students - were decked out in Phillies gear and congratulating each other. There was also a huge parade in Center City.

THE FINANCIAL CRISIS
Unfortunately I have two group meetings lined up tonight with the first starting in 10 minutes so I will have to come back to this. Happy reading!
Labels: Life, Philadelphia, U.S.A.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home