now that it's over...
I can tell you that event organising is one of the most educational things ever.
For the past three, three and half weeks, I've been helping to organise FMAA's inaugural International Careers Evening, which is an intimate, cocktailey networking session for international students with firm reps. Thanks to this, I haven't been to badminton in weeks, haven't cooked a proper meal in a week, have gotten even more behind in accounting and amassed an impressive backlog of work. (Although, I have to admit, this is mostly due to my incurable tendency to procrastinate. One day I'll change.)
But, but. After yesterday night, and all of the inevitable last minute hiccups (very amusing ones, I might add), the event turned out absolutely fantastic!
Evidence here

here

and here!

Unfortunately, I didn't get in any photos. Bugger.
I came on the committee when the project was halfway through, so a lot of my job was just following up on leads, establishing a few new ones and helping out in general. Ezien (some of you may remember her, 2 years our senior in CHS, and EIC of ed-board I think) was the real star and the most impressive multitasker I've ever met. You won't believe the workload she's been juggling the past month. The thing about FMAA projects is, most of them are pretty much a one-man show, so to pull of something of this scale really says something (we had >120 attendees, well over the initial plan of 100 and had to turn down many, many people) The event started at 6pm; at 4pm we were still getting emails/calls from students asking for tix.
Interestingly, 3 out of 3 international students who made it on to the FMAA committee this year and the 2 years before were from CHS. And there seems to be quite a number of PLC alumni too. Either I've been going to the right schools, or these schools have been producing the right people.
Anyway, lots of men in business suits! *ahemyeah* The venue was lovely, the atmosphere was lovely and overall the response and feedback from firms and students alike were very positive. All in all, a very rewarding experience, and a great opportunity to apply what I've learnt this sem, in relation to costs, marketing, management etc. Especially marketing, since ticket sales were slow to pick up.
And I should sleep now. Early tute tomorrow morning and then an informal lunch with the Dean and some nobel prize laureate. Don't look at me, I'm just going for the food. =P I hope it's good. I need a real meal.
For the past three, three and half weeks, I've been helping to organise FMAA's inaugural International Careers Evening, which is an intimate, cocktailey networking session for international students with firm reps. Thanks to this, I haven't been to badminton in weeks, haven't cooked a proper meal in a week, have gotten even more behind in accounting and amassed an impressive backlog of work. (Although, I have to admit, this is mostly due to my incurable tendency to procrastinate. One day I'll change.)
But, but. After yesterday night, and all of the inevitable last minute hiccups (very amusing ones, I might add), the event turned out absolutely fantastic!
Evidence here

here

and here!

Unfortunately, I didn't get in any photos. Bugger.
I came on the committee when the project was halfway through, so a lot of my job was just following up on leads, establishing a few new ones and helping out in general. Ezien (some of you may remember her, 2 years our senior in CHS, and EIC of ed-board I think) was the real star and the most impressive multitasker I've ever met. You won't believe the workload she's been juggling the past month. The thing about FMAA projects is, most of them are pretty much a one-man show, so to pull of something of this scale really says something (we had >120 attendees, well over the initial plan of 100 and had to turn down many, many people) The event started at 6pm; at 4pm we were still getting emails/calls from students asking for tix.
Interestingly, 3 out of 3 international students who made it on to the FMAA committee this year and the 2 years before were from CHS. And there seems to be quite a number of PLC alumni too. Either I've been going to the right schools, or these schools have been producing the right people.
Anyway, lots of men in business suits! *ahemyeah* The venue was lovely, the atmosphere was lovely and overall the response and feedback from firms and students alike were very positive. All in all, a very rewarding experience, and a great opportunity to apply what I've learnt this sem, in relation to costs, marketing, management etc. Especially marketing, since ticket sales were slow to pick up.
And I should sleep now. Early tute tomorrow morning and then an informal lunch with the Dean and some nobel prize laureate. Don't look at me, I'm just going for the food. =P I hope it's good. I need a real meal.
Labels: Uni

<< Home