Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A new month!

And this is significant because it means I get one whole shiny new gigabyte of data! If you think that's nothing at all, go without the internet for 8 excruciating days and come back and tell me 1gb of data means nothing to you. Blah, but really, it's barely enough to survive on, stoopid data cap.

In other news, Uni officially started two days ago. I have 2 or 3 hours of lectures/tutes everyday, and arranged them in such a way that I start at 9am and finish by 1pm. This gives me enough time to go for classes, walk back to my apartment by taking two steps forward and one step back, cook 5 course gourmet meals, clean the carpet and polish every spike on my cactus everyday.

Right, I don't really have that much leisure time. Admittedly my timetable is nowhere near as hectic as the biomed students, but it isn't terribly free either. There'll heaps of reading material to get through, assignments to do and essays to write. The pace has yet to pick up since we're only in the first week of lectures, and I hope it does soon because frankly, my brain is rotting.

Doing Commerce in UniMelb is like...studying in Malaysian central. Or maybe mainland China central. I wouldn't be making a sweeping statement if I said every Malaysian student goes to UniMelb to do Commerce. I NEED A CHANGE OF ENVIRONMENT GODDAMMIT!*gripegripegripe* I'm not meeting enough interesting people and my social life is in shambles.

If it weren't for the scholarship, I'd have switched to Comm/Law. It doesn't help that I'm already lusting after the new, sleek Law faculty building with its sparkly floors, modern contemporary executive atmosphere and spiffy laptop workstations. At any rate, I've made an appointment with the careers advisor to seriously discuss my options. Right now, I'm thinking Comm/Law vs. straight Commerce + honours year in Finance vs. straight Commerce + MBA. Is meeting the right people, having a great study atmosphere and a change of environment worth giving up $7000 a year?

I don't know. If I can find out what I need to do to get into that apparently doubleplus 1337 honours year in Finance, and whether I even have a fighting chance to get into it, I'll probably stick with the straight Comm and $7000pa.

Anyway, moving on, I've got myself a 2nd-hand bike yesterday and loving it to bits. I've wanted a road bike for some time now and have been checking out other people's road bikes. Y'know, like, checking out. The traffic around my area and uni is mildly harrowing at times, with 4-way traffic movement, an army of pedestrians and trams to boot. Cycling on the roads here takes a more than usual amount of concentration but I'm hoping with a bit more experience I'll be able to manoeuvre the roads more comfortably.

Labels: ,