Tuesday, September 07, 2004

GSV Championship Carnival

We won we won we won we won!!! I'm so excited. I'm tempted to say for the first time ever, but I'm not really sure. But in a long while I think, we haven't won Athletics. And today, we did it! Beat 7 other schools to emerge as overall champions by just a hair's breadth.

Today was also the proudest, happiest, most fantastic day I've ever had in a long, long while. I was in 6 events, with the last one being triple jump. I have never done triple jump in my entire life but for want of a representative in that event, they put me in. Under reasoning that I was a long jumper and it's all jumping anyway. I didn't really expect to go very far with triple, having only learnt the proper steps to it this very morning.

But joy oh joy! I discovered I COULD do it, and well too. And proceeded to beat everyone else flat with a distance of 9.65m. It was really hyped up cause the field events were running late and triple was the last event on the list. Everyone else was packing up and bracing themselves for the announcement of the final tally. Even the team captains from each school were assembling on the track with respective school banners. (Ours said 'GO PLC!' and was kinda embarassing, but yeah.) So there was a lot of attention on us remaining athletes. It was really cool to have so many people cheering and watching you. And when the announcement came that the final event (meaning the triple jump) would be the determining factor in who wins the championship, it just added more drama to the whole thing.

I could hardly contain my excitment and joy every time I got my jump measured, three in total, cause it increased sorta exponentially. 8.23m, 8.97m and finally, my gloriest moment, 9.65m. I was so, so happy, oh my god. The PE staff were thrilled to bits as well and laughing gleefully.

Finally, they announced the standings, starting from 8th place. When this blared over the microphone, "In second place, St. Catherine's", we just screamed our lungs out and hugged and jumped and clapped and cheered, our unbridled joy erupting and reverberating off the stands, knowing that, there was only one school left for 1st place. And it was us.

What made it the most momentous occasion was that we were celebrating as a team, a huge team at that, and that happiness was simply magnified tens of times over among us. Victory tastes so much sweeter shared. The championship carnival marked the end of a fantastic athletics season, through which I've made so many new friends, and you just gotta admit, this was one heck of a finale.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home