Wednesday, March 17, 2004

St. Patrick's Day!

I'm not Irish, but this is such a fun day! A celebration of green. =P Dinner's just over, and whoo! Smiled and laughed a great lot today...the dining room and everyone was green (*grumble grumble yes and orange, but just a little only, hardly worth mentioning. 0:-) Went decked in my green stuff, green shorts, green shirt, green hair clip, and green scrunchie around my wrist (the one Feebs gave ;)....hahahah, talk about green I just get high lah. And, in my *humble opinion, the star of the day was undoubtedly Green Patrick :) So okay, we were all divided into our teams, with the head of each team being a BH committee member. Unfortunately, there were about 30+ of boarders missing, cuz Yr 7, 8 and 9s are at camp and those Yr 11s taking Bio has gone off today for Bio camp.

I was in Sarah Hendriks group (BH Captain, part Irish). There were competitions to see which table had the best decorations and which table had the most people dressed in green (or orange). Every team had two round tables joined together forming a figure of 8 to sit round, and it was up to you to decorate it however you like. Our principal, Mrs. Ward was present too and she had this larger than life, green velvety leprechaun top hat thingy with a shamrock at the front on her head. So cute! Kayz, so back to our table deco, we had a big green potted plant. (...ok, very redundant sorry...) So much for the stuff we learnt in KH about plant deco on dining table must not higher than eye level. Everyone on the opposite side of the 8 was blocked out in leafy foliage. Anyway,apparently the plant was supposed to "symbolize the growth of Ireland." Nearly spluttered out my green Fanta Lime drink in laughter. Dun care, just crap only lah...then we got my green Patrick of course, and my green wallet on the table, and the green Pringles sour cream and onion. And what else? A green teddy, an orange hippo, green serviettes, green towel thingy as the tablecloth, plate with orange and green lining which the poor plant sat on, and a frog admist the foliage...and that's about it...(oh and I got to sit on the green lawn chair brought all the way into the dining room :)

Vanessa's table was pretty cool. Green paper shamrock coasters, a leaf stuck on the back of every chair, cute leprechaun procelain figure, green...uh...green coloured Ajax soap detergent thing (?!) etc. But they lost points cause one of the girls was wearing a sign on her back saying "Where's the Guinness?" in green. Quote Mrs. Ward, "I am quite troubled by the drinking habits of this team." Ashleigh's (BH vice capt.) table won in the end, cause they had good green stuff, some green Thai cloth, (were they the one with the green Care Bear with the 4 leaf clover on its tummy? No...I think it was the table next to it..But they had green...hand softener. O-kaye. :) Well anyway, the deciding factor was that they had a genuine four leaf clover. Another table had the green boarding house woolly blanket for tablecloth. Hahahah!

Other tables, okaylah, but I shan't bore you with more green details...The walls of the dining room were also decorated with green shamrocks and Irish music was blaring from the radio, but let's go on to food. What was that I heard? Broccoli? Yes. Spot on. Broccoli. I hate broccie and Wen Li sitting next to me hAD to tell me stuff about people finding worms in their broc before...hehe...) Munchies before the meal were a green paper lined basket filled with orange mini cheezels and cheese and bacon balls (that taste like cheezels with bacon). Main course, traditional Irish lamb stew, or fish. I took lamb...then of course, potatoes, and carrots (orange). Dessert, was this thing called pavlova. Um, tastes like soggy wet marshmellows, bottom made of egg whites, top was green coloured cream, decorated with green and orange smarties and green and orange jelly Squirms (i'll bring some back k, Squirms I mean :)...it was really sweet, too sweet actually...

After dinner, prize giving! We won the most relevantly dressed people (the 'award' wasn't CAlled that, but ANyway.) Prize we got green wrapped chocolate thingy with coconut sprinkles on top. Ashleigh's table, as I said, won best deco, and got a BOX OF FERRERO ROCHERS. I waaant! =P So that was dinner. And if any stranger were to look into the dining room at that time, they'd see crazy people dressed up in green towel turbans, green crepe paper headbands, green uh, pieces of cloth, green garbage bags, jolly green caps and hats, and wearing green makeup, green earrings, green accessories, green lipstick...(no lah not that bad :) Hahahahah....yeah...and it goes on... =P So basically, that's it.

A green evening where everyone could have fun being silly and be just positively dotty! =)

Labels: